I am by NO means going to brag that I eat well! BUT I have found 2 amazing low-carb recipes (plus a scrumptious dessert) that are both family-friendly AND super tasty that I wanted to share with y’all!
This first one is my absolutely favorite and my husband even says he prefers this over regular pasta most days! I never feel guilty eating a ton of spaghetti squash because, um hello, its a vegetable!! Plus it’s so easy to make! Here’s the details:
Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs
– 1 medium to large spaghetti squash
– Cooking spray
– Gluten-free meatballs (try these ones, they are yummy & have lots of protein too!)
– Light or low-sodium pasta sauce
– Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Cut spaghetti squash in half long ways & scoop out flesh (like a pumpkin).
3. Place foil on a cookie try and spray with cooking spray.
4. Place halves open side down onto the cookie sheet.
5. Bake in oven for 1 hour. For “al dente noodles” bake for 45 minutes.
6. Using tongs to hold squash, scrape out insides with a fork. It should look like spaghetti noodles!
7. (Optional) Place in salad spinner to get rid of extra moisture.
8. Follow instructions on package to cook meatballs.
9. Add sauce and cheese and enjoy!
This next one is also a favorite around my house. I actually have fun making them and you can basically add whatever you want! Here’s how we make it at the Pregler house:
Turkey Zucchini Boats
– 2 large, as straight as possible, zucchinis (or adjust to however people you are aiming to feed)
– 1lb ground turkey
– Taco seasoning of your choice (we buy this kind, it’s delish!)
– 1/2 green pepper, chopped small (side note, did you know that the ones with 3 nubs at the bottom are better for cooking?)
– 1/2 yellow onion, chopped small
– 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (or whatever your favorite shredded cheese is!)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a large skillet, brown ground turkey, peppers, and onions.
3. While turkey is browning, slice each zuchhini long ways, as evenly as possible.
4. With large spoon, scoop out insides of zucchini, leaving about 1 inch of flesh around the outside. It should look like a little canoe when you are done!
5. (Optional) Put insides of zucchini in with the turkey. It does however sometimes make the mixture a little watery, so I stopped doing this step lately.
6. Once turkey is browned, follow directions on taco seasoning package for 1lb of meat.
7. Sprinkle some cheese onto the bottom of the zucchini boats.
8. Scoop mixture into boats.
9. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of mixture.
10. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is just starting to brown.
And lastly, after all that cooking, you deserve dessert! Here’s a little something that tastes great, but isn’t going to undo all that healthy eating you just did for dinner!
Fruit & Cool Whip
– Watermelon, cubed
– Strawberries, sliced
– Any fruit you LOVE!
– Original Cool Whip
1. Add fruit to bowl.
2. Pile on the Cool Whip!
Okay this one wasn’t exactly rocket science. But did you know Cool Whip is only 25 calories and 2 carbs for every 2 tbsp?!? Talk about a game changer!
I hope you guys enjoyed these fun recipes and get to try them out with your families! Do you have any other great low-carb recipes you think I should try? I’ve got a bridesmaids dress to fit into later this summer!!